We liked how the prototype turned out, so then we cut out some carbon, laid it out on a prototype mold, and cured the resin. The first batch seemed too "flimsy", so we thickened up the top part by adding another layer of material, (we are using a 3K pre-preg). The base plate was way too thin, so we doubled the thickness of it and it made it much stiffer.
This design really works. We've been able to fling small objects (gummy bears work great) in excess of 70 feet with them. Besides a few small changes when we actually create the produciton tooling, I think we have essentially a finished product here!
Attached are a few pictures of the regular black Fling as well as the "Bling Fling", which is the same thing as the black, only with a red and black Kevlar/carbon weave on the top layer. It looks very cool... I also put in a couple pics of them with a ruler or a dry-erase marker to illustrate the size. Let me know what you think!